Let’s rewind a couple years to August 2, 2008. I had just attended the midnight release of Breaking Dawn with my BFF and I was so, so excited to find out how Edward and Bella’s story would come to an end. I eagerly immersed myself with the book and was really pleased with the first few chapters. Wedding, honeymoon? AWESOME… and then it all started going to hell soon after. This was NOT how it was supposed to go and I was not enjoying it at all. I actually closed the book for a bit and had to text another friend at 2AM telling her I was ready to quit. She somehow convinced me to continue on and I did…the torture! Needless to say, this was definitely not my favorite book of the series and, while I’ve grown to be somewhat okay with the events that took place, I’m still mostly resentful (A BABY?! REALLY?!).
So, why would I go see this book come to life on the big screen when I don’t even really like it? Mostly out of loyalty. I don’t love the movies, and I don’t love the cast either, but Twilight has been such a big part of my life for so many years now that it always manages to pull me in. And, considering my mostly angry feelings about the book itself, I left feeling pretty okay with the movie. SURPRISING.
• Too much Jacob, as always. Okay, TO BE FAIR, they really did minimize his entire section from the book, but he’s my #1 Most Hated so any Jacob is too much Jacob. I also had to roll my eyes at that dancing scene with Bella. Um, wtf, that was not okay and it was way too long.
• The wolves talking. Again, wtf?! Lulzy moments are mandatory in this series but that was just ridiculous.
• Going back to Jacob, the wedding stuff was nice but then he showed up and took over and… UGH. LIFE RUINER.
• Not as bad, but Bella’s nightmare wedding and Edward’s flashback to his rebellion were so random.
• Um…Jacob? I’m honestly blanking on the stuff I didn’t like so I’ll just blame him one more time.
• Edward hearing the baby – OHMYGOD. As someone who has hated E/B having a baby since forever, my cold heart was warmed during this scene. It was definitely my favorite of the movie. *insert more squees here*
• The Love Scene/Honeymoon – Done just right. I initially had a “Wait…that’s it?” moment, but then the flashbacks came into action and all was well. Plus, Bella’s attempts to seduce Edward were hilarious.
• Smiley Edward and Bella! My biggest complaint about these movies is that Edward and Bella always seem so miserable and their cuteness from the books never comes through… Things did get depressing in this one, but I’m glad some laughs and smiles were to be had.
• The wedding kiss! Not going to lie, I was all, “THIS IS A LITTLE TOO LONG AND INAPPROPRIATE FOR A WEDDING” but it was also adorable! And lovely! And Flightless Bird! :)
• That random shot of Claire and Quil on the beach. I WAS CACKLING.
• Charlie ♥
• Bella’s pregnancy transformation. Holy crap, A+ on making Kristen look so awful. I think her appearance really drove home how much the baby was affecting her physically, but also how much she already loved it and what she was willing to go through. Plus, that scene where Edward sees her in the bathroom? GAH, YIKES. And then her spine before the birth? DOUBLE YIKES.
• Jacob imprinting. Glad that the movies can finally move on to the important Jacob relationship. Also, it was hilarious. Bye, Jacob.
• The birth scene. Intense and crazy! I was a little worried that it would be too dragged out, but I think they pulled it off pretty well.
• The ending. We all knew where it was going to end, of course, but it was cool to have it confirmed.
As crazy as it may sound, I’m actually really excited for part two! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for cute family moments with Edward, Bella, and Nessie, vampire!Bella in action, and Edward and Bella breaking more furniture. Also, whatever I may feel about the book as a whole, I really do love the last Edward and Bella scene. That will be amazing to see. And I will probably cry. :P
I apologize for the caps, randomness, and silliness of this post.